Thursday, June 5, 2014

Santiago continued

Yes, I get it...
we're all sinners -
sleeping under a blanket of cozy flames?
(Insert smile here!)

I enjoyed getting out of the 'tourist' section - 
and discovering that market day was in full force.

I spent hours walking around, 
taking in the sights, smells and sounds -
and buying nothing.











 Oops, not entirely true about buying nothing -
I bought grapes! 
Some fruit other than the oranges, apple and bananas 
I'd ben surviving on for over a month!

I can't tell you how much carrying everything on your back 
changes your relationship to things.
Whatever I saw, either at market or in the stores in Santiago,
the question was always -
do you want that enough to be carrying it with you on your back?
And my answer was invariably, NO!

I think that was one of the reasons why 'slack packers' bothered some of us so much.
They generally were wealthier, 
or they could choose to use their resources 
differently for a short period than we could for a sustained trek, 
but it underscored our perception that the rich never have to bear the full weight of their actions;
they rarely have to carry the consequences of their choices.
Maybe thats just more reverse elitism at work, 
but it certainly felt true for may of us. 

I also indulged at lunchtime,
when I met up with Anne,
and got a hamburger.
It didn't look like any of 'our' hamburgers, 
but I was so sick of bocadillos, 
I was willing to try anything!
I also had a taste of big emotions!

No comments:

Post a Comment