Thursday, June 5, 2014

Day 37: Portomarin - Palais Del Rei (5/7/14)

The days were disappearing as we walked...
it felt surreal to acknowledge that, God willing, we'd be in Santiago in less than a week.

While Anne and I were deliberately planning to get there on a weekday, 
most of the folks around us were stepping up their pace 
so they could be sure to be there for Sunday Pilgrims Mass...
exactly why we were planning on a Monday - 
to avoid the crowds!
Yup, Anne had a touch of  the curmudgeon in her too.

 BTW - I would LOVE to have this angel this in my yard -
although most pilgrims were enchanted 
with this sculpture of folks dancing their way to Santiago.
Maybe they felt like dancing,
 I still felt like I was just putting in time and miles -
and I cut myself some slack -
there's nothing wrong with that.

We can't have 'mountaintop experiences' every day;
sometimes it's enough to show up
and do what you have to do...
I had years of doing precisely that at work -
and don't try to tell me I'm the only one who has!

I was still able to appreciate both the quiet beauty we walked through

and smile at 
peoples drive and desire for self expression -


even if it didn't make my heart soar.

The path was 'the known' now 
and some of the novelty had definitely worn off
 but I'd still rather be caught in this traffic jam 
than the kind I suspected we'd see in Santiago!



No comments:

Post a Comment