Thursday, June 5, 2014

Day 46: Santa Marina - Cee/Corcubion (5/16/14)

Anne and I had been walking for 3 hours.
It was blistering hot.
We were tired and sore.
Annes ankle was throbbing and swelling before our eyes.

But, we'd had our first glimpse of the sea, so we knew it couldn't be too far now.
We saw one more 'opposite way pilgrim' 
and had yet one more conversation about why anyone would do this to themselves.

This particular pilgrim said he was doing it because this is what he planned,
this was what he had worked for,
this was how he was to do His Camino 
and it didn't matter if he was happy or tired 
or getting anything out of it or not.

Really?

When he moved on, 
Anne and I spoke for a few minutes about the insanity of it all
and then we separated a bit 
for more private reflection and thought.

Within minutes though, 
I had an insight that I wanted to share with Anne.
I turned and found she was right behind me.
I knew she'd had it too.

OMG - that was us!
Those pilgrims who had a plan, 
a calling, 
a vision of themselves 
to the point where it no longer mattered 
whether there was joy or health or learning anymore.
That had been us at work -
head down, 
trudging along the path we felt was ours -
doing what we felt we needed to do -
even to our own detriment.

In fact,
 that had been us at the beginning of our Caminos - 
intent on doing things our way,
according to our plan
and on our timetable!

Although unsure of exactly how and when we had changed,
we were both absolutely certain we were no longer those people.

Anne and I laughed at our shared insight -
and separated again... 
this time with me lagging behind.

I was walking slowly because I kept having the scandalous thought -
I'm done with my Camino.

I wasn't sure what other lessons I had left to learn;
while not ruling out the possibility that God always has more in store for me, 
it suddenly felt far more important to be at the beach
giving thanks for all I'd learned, 
 than walking to the beach.

I looked up and saw Anne coming in my direction.
When she neared, before I could say anything, 
she simply said,
I'm done.

Anne flagged down the next student we saw driving a car, 
asked that she take us to the nearest place where we could get a cab -
and within 45 minutes,
we were on a beach!
My feet were in the Atlantic Ocean and I could immediately feel the blisters healing from the salt water!
There's nothing salt water can't cure:
sweat, tears or the sea.

Can I get an Amen!

I'll admit, my tears were added to the salt water - 
they always are when I get home!





It was a glorious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment