Sunday, June 1, 2014

Burgos Cathedral

Three words: over the top

I loved looking around.
I loved seeing the stained glass, the carvings, the paintings and the statues.
I appreciated the workmanship and artistry that went into each piece I saw.

But, as a child of a 'Reformation' church, 
I can also see why people rejected all these trappings - 
these gilded, glitzy distractions -
for a simpler expression of their relationship with God.

There are so many side 'chapels' I lost count.
Each one dedicated to, and supported financially by, 
a different Pope, Bishop, King, Count or patron of the arts.
Each one trying to outdo the previous ones.
For me, it spoke far more about power and mens egos than about God.

The creator of one chapel was described as having kenophobia - the 'fear of emptiness';
That description made me smile 
since I can think of lots of people in our own culture 
who suffer from the same ailment!

But you decide for yourself:






















It was just SUCH a contrast with the scenes from that morning -
in the fog with the sheep! 

I almost felt like I had whiplash.

No comments:

Post a Comment