Friday, June 6, 2014

Day 53: Santiago redux (5/23/14)


I returned to Santiago to begin my journey home the next morning -
with flights to
Madrid - Chicago - St Louis
Walking around felt very different this time...
I knew no one I saw in the Cathedral Square; 
I didn't go to the Pilgrim Mass.
It was just a city from which I was catching a flight home.

While I was waiting though,
I chose to explore a completely different part of the city -
a gorgeous park, complete with bookseller stalls, a rose garden
and a tribute to Rosa Castro, the Poet Laureate of Galician Spain.




I was also rewarded with seeing preparation for the Fiesta de Ascension.
You guessed it,
they were preparing for another long holiday weekend!
I won't even bother to drag out my soapbox about that again!

Besides, I LOVED that for celebrating the Ascension,
the predominant feature was a Ferris Wheel!
You know how much this girl loves symbolism!  



Oh, for those of you who are curious:

Yes - I got my 'stuff' back from 'the guy in Santiago that was holding it for me'.
It was simple, cheap and easy;
a great experience and service.
If you want/need his information, email me and I'll be happy to share.
AND
Yes, I bought something in Santiago - a new cross to wear and
in Cee, I bought a new pair of pants to wear home!

I also came home with about 2K of beach glass...
which I found along the beaches in Finisterre.
 I've always loved beach glass -
marveled at how something that's broken and sharp,
through the process of being tossed about and beaten against the rocks,
can have the roughness smoothed away
and its beauty refined, though muted.

I especially treasure this small piece
discovered and given to me by Anne -
a heart that's wounded but intact!
Like I said,
I love symbolism!

I'll probably be posting more on this site as I have reflections/thoughts to share.
In the meantime, however, I have to get ready to go to the reservation on a Mission trip.

If interested, you can follow along here.
When I return, I'll also be posting on my 'regular' blog, found here.

Thanks for following along -
and Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment