Monday, June 2, 2014

Day 25: Boadilla del Camino - Leon (4/25/14)

 I don't pretend to understand why 
people come and go in our lives when they do
or why some folks 'click' and others don't.

All I know is the Camino is a perfect concentrated form of that reality.
Edwina and I had been travelling together for almost 10 days -
far longer, I suspect, than either of us had anticipated when we began.
She had become a dear friend 
and I would miss her presence, her humor and her unique outlook on life;
it had been a wonderful gift.

For the past few days,
I had also been walking, on and off, with David;
a guy raised in Park Ridge, IL, 
now living with his family in Appleton, WI -
locales to which I have a connection through extended family. 

He reminded me of my younger brother -
and there was no way we'd be walking together long 
since he was so tall and had such a different stride than I do.
But we'd ended up in the same albergue at night for 3-4 days now 
and we decided that when Edwina left, 
we'd go together to Leon.

You'll notice I didn't say we'd walk to Leon.
David and I are intimately familiar with various parts of the Midwest.
We love it.
We appreciate its subtle beauty; we know the hidden value of 'the flyover'.
But that doesn't mean we have to walk it;
been there, done that; will be doing again, 
at home.

If the purpose of the meseta was 'to break you open',
I'd had a job that did that, on a regular basis, for three decades,
thank you very much.
I didn't need another 3 days of the same.

Especially after reading the descriptions in his guidebook -
which admittedly may not have been accurate-
the few drinking fountains between villages might be dry 
so make sure your water flasks are full and you have breakfast before you leave; 
this stage is through remote bush country; 
this route runs parallel to the new autopista via a long soulless stretch of senda; 
you will pass through no town, no village, no farmyard and see no houses; 
there is little shade.
Ringing endorsements all, right?

I admire the folks who read that and still chose to walk;
but I wasn't doing penance for anything.

I hadn't signed up for Adult Faith Boot Camp beyond what I'd already endured - 
and there still was enough to come that would test me further  
without walking across the European versions of Iowa or Southern Wisconsin.

So, Edwina, David and I took a bus from Fromista to Palencia
and, when Edwina got a train to Madrid,
David and I got a train to Leon.
 (Actually navigating the different transportation systems in Spain 
is a valuable Camino lesson,
in and of itself!)

We spent the afternoon exploring the city.


 (David on the far right)
 It was while we were window shopping in Leon 
that I realized exactly how popular those hooded Lenten figures are in Spanish culture -


You know they must be pretty mainstream 
when a Farmacia uses them in a window display!



 If any of us are tired of decorating with our spring chicks and bunnies, 
these might be new alternatives!

The Cathedral in Leon is known for its stained glass -
and, even with rain moving into the area, 
the windows were spectacular.



At the risk of sounding jaded however -
another cathedral, more stained glass, 
more religious imagery from the past...


yadda, yadda, yadda...
I could already feel myself slipping into 'tourist' mode.

So, after I enjoyed all the hotel had to offer,
I decided not to stay another day with David, 
but get back to the Way in the morning.


1 comment:

  1. Those figurines! I love that they are carrying around boxes of things in the pharmacy display. Ha!

    ReplyDelete