Thursday, June 5, 2014

Day 47: Cee/Corcubion - Finisterre (5/17/14)

THIS was the view from my balcony at the albergue in Finisterre.
Trust me, if THIS is what the end of the world looks like, 
sign me up forever!

Do you have any idea what a room like this would cost anywhere in the States?
Yet, with a pilgrims passport, 
this view was mine for 12 Euro a night!
No, you didn't read wrong...
12 Euro!
Guess who stayed for 5 days?!

If I had to wait out some time before catching a flight home, 
I'd MUCH rather do it here than in Santiago.
No contest; no even close!

For those who haven't read the very beginning of this blog,
Finisterre is located on the Costa da Morte or the Coast of Death.
It received its name both because there have been so many shipwrecks 
along its rocky shoreline
but also because when people believed the earth was flat, 
this western most point in Spain was the place where they believed the wold ended.
If you sailed into the ocean, from this point, you would sail off the edge.
 It has fine white sand beaches,

shells galore,
 
and a small but busy port -
with lots of great seafood.
Thanks; I don't need to sail off anywhere.
I'm fine with staying put for awhile!

Anne and I walked to the municipal albergue to get our "Finisterre Compostella" -
and decided that, whatever question they asked, we would tell the truth.
They did NOT ask if we had walked the whole way...
for some reason, they asked if we had faithfully completed our Camino.
That was easy to answer - YES!

That evening, Peter, Anne and I walked to a more remote beach 
on the other side of the peninsula 
to watch the sunset.


Peter played his Irish tin whistle as the sun was setting
and the notes lifting over the the crash of sea waves was hauntingly beautiful.
The songs were both plaintive, joyful -
and perfectly Irish!
Perhaps even early Celtic.
Both Anne and Peter placed mementos of loved ones in the sea. 
I put a stone from Iona (Scotland), given to me by friends, back in the Atlantic, 
so it too would have the chance to return home.

We sat quietly together watching the end of a lovely day.



Every second was gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment