Monday, March 10, 2014

Two schools of thought-

with each side having passionate and persuasive adherents.

One of the main Camino debates – 
boots vs athletic shoes.

I’ve been wavering between both, 
weighing the pros and cons; 
testing out different options
and have changed my mind, 
at least a dozen times.
The hiking boots that served me well 
(for far shorter distances in Scotland), 
were what I originally intended to use. 

They’re already broken in
and I know the weight and feel of them.

And that was one of the downsides –

I know the weight and feel of them – 
and the rather rigid leather backs 
hit my calf
inches above my ankle; 
just enough to be noticeable
and annoying. 

When an experienced pilgrim mentioned that when they got wet, 
they probably wouldn’t dry overnight – 
that clinched the deal.

So, I moved on to gortex athletic ‘trainers’ – 
and again -
struggled with the weight/cumbersomeness of them
even after logging some miles.
Not terrible but noticeable 
(kind of like Frankstein shoes) – 
since I’d been convinced to get them
½ - 1 size larger than usual
because of foot swelling and 'spreadage'.

Add to that the same concerns
about whether they’d dry when wet 
and whether the decidedly different shoe ‘laces’
(aka ripcords) 
would break in the middle of the trip,
leaving me stranded – 
and indecision again reigned.

But when both a Board member of the American Pilgrims on the Camino 
and two rock star peregrinos 
(folks who’d made the whole trek without a single blister) 
extolled the benefits of New Balance walking shoes – 
a brand I’ve used as ‘regular’ walking shoes for years – 
it was just the news I wanted to hear. 
Either that or I tend to pick the third option – 
not because its best or makes the most sense - 
but because I’m sick of being unsure 
and making a decision ends the internal drama!

Anyway, like any other decision in life, 
you make the best decision you can, 
given the information you have at the time – 
and you live with the consequences.

NO doubt there’ll be proponents of the hiking boot contingent, 
ready to tell me what a terrible mistake I’ve made.

I can live with that. 

If there’s one refrain I hear,
over and over, 
it’s that your Camino is YOUR Camino – 
not anyone else’s. 

In the end, you make decisions for yourself – 
and keep moving forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment