Saturday, March 15, 2014

Reframe

I reminded myself she was playwright,
a writer,
as well as an actress – 
which explained why her descriptions were so vivid 
and articulately expressed.

In a recent BBC interview, 
Emma Thompson,
the British actress I loved so much in 
Much Ado about Nothing 
and
Sense and Sensibility,
was describing the process
of defining her characters, 
breathing life into them, 
making them real. 

She spoke of ’ ingesting’ all the information she could, 
'metabolizing it' to find what could feed the character, 
what was healthy and life giving –
and then excreting all that remained; 
letting go of all the sh*t she didn’t need.

I started laughing in the car, 
startling the dogs –
 although you’d think they’d be used to it by now. 

What a brilliant way for me
to reframe my walk on the Camino.

I’ve thought of it as 
running away, 
walking toward, 
a pilgrimage, 
a journey,
 a vision quest, 
a rite of passage 
and 
a metaphor. 

Now, 
with Emma’s carefully chosen words
resonating in my head, 
it’s also become a way
to re-set my metabolism. 

After decades of 'ingesting' all the
stories,
information,
opinions,
viewpoints
legalities,
and feelings
at work, 
I’ll have 500+ miles to sift through it all, 
find what’s healthy and life giving – 
and 'excrete' all the rest!

Well done, Emma.
Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment