Thursday, February 20, 2014

Walking with stones.

Its a Camino tradition, apparently,
to bring a stone from home on your journey;
a stone which you carry as you walk 
and into which you pray
your intentions and petitions.

Your stone is then placed at the foot of a cross
about two thirds of the way to Santiago-
Cruce de Ferro -
(Cross of Iron) -
and left behind as you continue your journey.

Few seem to know how old the actual iron cross there is, 
but there are hints in the literature that
the tradition itself is ancient. 

I have my stone selected.

It was made for me
by one of the first families 
I worked with in the PICU
(the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit).
It sat on my desk for 34 years;
it's heard all I've heard;
its been silent witness to moments of
ugliness,
lies,
morbid humor,
painful truths,
tears,
rage,
relief
and 
joy.

It's already tucked into 
a small space in my backpack.

I'm praying that 
by the time I place it at the foot of the cross,
I'll be ready to let go
of the pain from my work life;
 that what remains
will primarily be 
gratitude
and memories
that are easier to live with.

That's the hope anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment