Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Full disclosure

In reading my journal to get ready for this blog, 
there's a common element in the entries 
for the first 5 weeks 
that you should know about...

I cried every single day.
Every. Single. Day.

I knew I would be teary as I processed 35 years of working in Pediatrics;
I suspected family and grief issues would also rear their ugly heads -
and I was right on both counts.

For years, I'd likened myself to being a pain sponge
and I'd clearly reached the limit of what I could absorb.

Being wrung out, however, turned out to be a lengthy - 
and far messier - process than I'd envisioned.

Physically, there was also never a day when walking the Camino was easy for me.
There were parts of every day that were easier than others -
but it was NEVER easy for me.

My back, my knees, my hip and my feet all took turns being the locus of my pain.

While I will be writing about certain occasions
when my tears and pain seemed to be the primary focus of my day  -
just know that these times were NOT isolated events.

Some of us need bigger bottles than others!


I am not my wound, or my defense against my wound.
I am my journey

James Hollis

No comments:

Post a Comment