Saturday, February 15, 2014

What's in a number?

Those who know me 
know that numbers aren't my thing.

I can't translate kilometers to miles;
I don't know from sea level...
so looking at these elevation maps 
of the different stages of the Camino
means relatively little to me.

And, frankly, whether its up hill or flat out,
its all got to be taken one step at a time.


 However, looking at the first day on the trail,
I DO know straight up when I see it!
So I did what any thinking person, especially an old one, would do...
I decided to break the journey into two stages -
with an overnight stop at the ONLY refugio on the trail 
in Orisson.
Accommodation by reservation only.

Guess who got the last available bed for the night I need in April?
SCORE.
So far, so good!

On the second day - 
if I'm not dead -
I'll hopefully have my sea legs by then -
(are they still called that if you're walking over the Pyrenees?)
and be ready to take on the rest of the mountain...
OR
I can always pray that the 'Napoleon route' is closed
and I will have to be driven back down the mountain
and walk around it at the base
on the 'Valcarlos route'.
Learning the lessons of the Camino already - 
control what you can -
and leave the rest to chance 
and whatever God has planned!


No comments:

Post a Comment