Monday, August 19, 2013

I am not impulsive

While it may seem to my friends 
that I came home from Iona 
this spring 
with some harebrained idea 
of quitting my job 
and walking across Spain, 
the truth is, 
I've been reading 
and preparing for some time.

I don't do things spontaneously - 
not anymore  - 
well, not often.

Here are just some of the books I've amassed, and read, as preparation - 
this doesn't include the blogs I've followed, 
the websites I've stalked 
and the folks I've spoken to..

Seven Tips to make the most of the Camino de Santiago by Cheryl Powell

Walk in a relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino by Joyce Rupp 
To Walk far, carry less by Jean-Christie Ashmore
I'm off then: losing and finding myself on the Camino by Hape Kerkeling 
Call of the Camino: Myths, Legends and Pilgrim Stories on the Way to Santiago de Compostela by Robert Mulle
The Art of Pilgrimage: The Seekers Guide to Making Travel Sacred by Phil Cousineau
The Way is Made by Walking by Arthur Paul Boers
The Camino: A Journey of the Spirit by Shirley Maclaine
Women Of The Way: Embracing the Camino by Jane Blanchard
To the Field of Stars by Kevin A Codd
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago by Susan Alcorn
The Way of the Stars: Journeys on the Camino de Santiago by Robert C. Sibley
Camino de Santiago: Fingerprints of God by Paul Moylan
Flunking Sainthood by Heather King
The Year We Seized the Day by Elizabeth Best and Colin Bowles
Becoming the Answer to our prayer by Shane Claibourne
Hiking the Camino: 500 Miles with Jesus by Father Dave Pivonka
Camino de Santiago: Practical Preparation and Background by Gerald Kelly
Walking Guide to the Camino de Santiago: History, Culture, Architecture from St Jean Pied de Port to Compostela and Finisterre by Gerald Kelly
Camino Pilgrim Tips and Packing Lists by S Yates
Along the Way: The Journey of a Father and Son by Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez
The Camino will Provide: Learning to Trust the Universe by David O'Brie
A Journey of Days: Relearning Life's Lessons on the Camino de Santiago by Guy Thatcher
Slacker Pilgrim: Guide to the Camino de Santiago by Sunshine Jen
The Year We Seized the Day by Elizabeth Best and Colin Bowles
Pilgrim Stories: On and Off the Road to Santiago by Nancy Louise Frey
Fumbling: a Pilgrimage Tale of Love, Grief and Spiritual Renewal on the Camino de Santiago by Kerry Egan
A Million Steps by Kurt Koonz
In Movement There is Peace by Elaina Orabona Foster and Joe Foster
Spiritual Lessons Along the Camino by Kim Brown
The Camino Diaries by Jean Rawlings
The Way is A River of Stars: A Buddhist's Journey by Helen E Burns
60 and Solo on the Camino de Santiago by Kay Smith
The Way, My Way by Bill Bennett
No complaints: Shut Up and Walk by Emmett Williams and Jasmyne Emmerich
The Artists Journey: the Perfumed Pilgrim tackles the Camino de Santiago by Marcia Shaver
Road of Reflection by Rachel Stainer
Carrying Grace to Santiago: A Daughters Journey by Maureen Lauran
Walking with Stones by William Schmidt


So, whatever happens on my Camino,  
I can't say I wasn't informed!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reading my book Women of the Way: Embracing the Camino. I hope it helped you prepare for your trip. Buen Camino

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, Jane, NOTHING can prepare you for the Camino! It simply has to be experienced ... But your book offered insights I certainly enjoyed and found helpful!

    ReplyDelete