Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The first stage (4/1/14)

St Louis-Chicago
Chicago-Paris
Do I need to say again how much I dislike flying? 
Although truth be told, it was fairly uneventful - except for being trapped back in economy class, for an overnight flight, with 50 high school French students headed to Paris at the same time as moi!  
It was like watching a pack of puppies playing - all unrestrained exuberance, short sharp yips and outbursts, all clumsily vying for position - and I swear they didn't stop talking through the entire flight.
When we hit some turbulence, you would have thought we were on a ride at Six Flags - hands in the air and screaming! Luckily, their chaperones were justifiably appalled with their behavior. I felt so sorry for the adults that it mitigated my pissed off-ness with the kids. It felt like I was trying to start a silent retreat in the middle of a frat house - during a pledge week toga party!

Paris is as lovely in spring as the movies would have you believe...


and, while walking around, waiting for my hotel room to be ready, I found a quiet oasis, right in the middle of the neighborhood, which helped restore my sanity - and readjust my attitude.

The cemetery de Montparnasse






Will work tonight to reconfigure my backpack and get ready for a full day of train rides tomorrow as I head south. Somehow the amount in my backpack morphed to more than 22 lbs, with electronics, sleeping bag etc... can't think of anything I can jettison - but God it's heavy!

Be patient as I get used to this 'Blogsy' app for posting (asking you as well as reminding myself!) and try to figure out how to access free wifi along the way - keeping in mnd that I'm technologically Amish.
Tired, stiff, lonesome for familiar faces to kvetch to - but getting by as a stranger in a strange land!


6 comments:

  1. Love your pictures - especially the ones at the cemetery de M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking us along on this pilgrimage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (From Peggy) Oh such lovely pics of Paris! What is the train situation to SJPdP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. see todays post... :)
      As much as I dislike the weight of it, I'm glad to have the sleeping bag!

      Delete